No new applications are being accepted
To upload a proposal, use the unique link in your LOI confirmation email, or visit your user profile, then click on the "activity" tab to get your application.
View/download RFP: PDF
A new round of catalyst grant funding is available for faculty at the University of Michigan Ann Arbor, Dearborn, and Flint campuses to pursue projects that address critical sustainability challenges by:
- developing new, user-driven, collaborative research ideas, or
- translating existing research for real-world application.
Catalyst Grants provide up to $10,000 over eight months. Approximately four grants will be awarded per cycle. Projects may address any sustainability topic. We welcome applications from STEM fields as well as the social sciences, professional schools, and the humanities.
All catalyst grant projects:
- Advance sustainability – Projects seek outcomes aimed to safeguard our planet's life-support systems and enhance well-being for present and future generations. Projects address multiple dimensions of sustainability–environmental, economic and social.
- Integrate end-users – Projects identify, engage, and are responsive to the interests and needs of end users—partners outside the university positioned to apply project outputs in real-world decision-making and practice. End user(s) inform proposals and have meaningful and iterative opportunities to shape the project and ensure real-world application.
- Collaborate across disciplines – Projects bring together a strong team representing faculty from multiple disciplines and at least two U-M academic or research units.
How to Apply
The LOI deadline has passed. Only teams that submitted an LOI are eligible to submit a full proposal. U-M faculty from the Ann Arbor, Dearborn, and Flint campuses are eligible to serve as Principal Investigator (PI). Submit materials through the online application system accessible via the "Start an Application" link on this webpage, and provide all elements described in the Catalyst Grant Request for Proposals (RFP).
- September 22, 2023
September 18, 2023- Letter of Intent deadline (required)
- October 16, 2023 - Proposal deadline
- Late November 2023 - Award decisions
- January 1, 2024 - Anticipated project start date
- Catalyst Grant RFP (PDF)
- Catalyst Grant Budget Template (Excel)
- Catalyst Grant Timeline Template (Excel)
- Graham Proposal Approval Form (Word)
- Frequently asked questions - This document will be updated as additional questions are submitted (last update August 15, 2023)
- Contact Maggie Allan, Program Manager (email@example.com, 734-763-0749)