As a living document, the Graham Diversity, Equity and Inclusion (DE&I) Strategic Plan is a guide for the Graham DE&I Planning Team to implement key efforts. The team will continue to address the needs of our community as they coordinate and collaborate with others on key activities. Below is a summary of accomplishments and plans for the future.
- Institute support of the Graham DE&I Planning Team, with new student members and a focus on activities outlined in the Graham DE&I strategic plan.
- Implemented guidelines and tools to incorporate DE&I into research, education and outreach efforts throughout the Institute. Efforts include adding DE&I content to requests for proposals, scholarship applications, newsletters, and other publications.
- Participated in the October 2016, U-M campus-wide DE&I kick-off event, including developing a display poster and fielding questions about Institute efforts from faculty, staff and students.
- Published the Graham Institute DE&I Strategic Plan, Summary Plan, website and fact sheet, based on the guidance of the Graham DE&I Planning Team and input from students, staff, faculty and alumni. The plan was approved by Academic Affairs, including support for a DE&I Campus Symposium to be led by Graham Scholars.
- Implemented a DE&I communications plan to ensure that communication about the Institute’s commitment is clear.
- Continuing to engage the Graham Administration in monthly meetings designed to engage DE&I leaders from each U-M school, college, and unit in learning about DE&I resources, activities, and best practices to facilitate the implementation of strategies throughout the campus community.
- Continuing to engage the Graham DE&I Planning Team focusing on methods to engage Graham staff in training and engage a broader community of students in a DE&I Campus Symposium. (Faculty training is coordinated by individual schools, colleges and units, Center for Research on Learning and Teaching (CRLT), and Human Resources.)
- Focusing on the intersection of DE&I and sustainability education and scholarship.
- Developing summaries to highlight how across Graham Institute programs, diverse stakeholder perspectives are embedded throughout the process of engaging with and across many cultural, disciplinary, and sectoral boundaries.
- Implementing additional DE&I efforts, such as tracking information necessary for reporting, overseeing communications efforts to consistently reflect our commitment to DE&I, and following through on staff training.
Contact the Graham DE&I Planning Team with suggestions or questions: GrahamDPG@umich.edu