The Fall Catalyst Grant Cycle is Open!
To submit a proposal, use the unique link sent to you in your LOI submission confirmation email
Catalyst Grants are a regular funding opportunity for faculty at the University of Michigan Ann Arbor, Dearborn and Flint campuses to pursue projects that address critical sustainability challenges by:
- developing new, user-driven, collaborative research ideas or
- translating existing research for real-world application.
Catalyst Grants provide up to $10,000 over eight months. Approximately four grants will be awarded per cycle. Projects may address any sustainability topic.
All catalyst grant projects:
- Advance sustainability – Projects seek outcomes aimed to safeguard our planet's life-support systems and enhance well-being for present and future generations. Projects include environmental, economic, and social dimensions of sustainability.
- Integrate end-users – Projects identify, engage, and are responsive to the interests and needs of end users—partners outside the university positioned to apply project outputs in real-world decision-making and practice.
- Collaborate across disciplines – Projects bring together a strong team representing faculty from multiple disciplines and at least two U-M academic or research units.
How to Apply
Proposals will only be accepted by teams who submitted LOIs by the October 4, 2021 deadline. U-M faculty from the Ann Arbor, Dearborn, and Flint campuses are eligible to serve as Principal Investigator (PI). Submit materials through the online application system accessible via the "Start an Application" link on this webpage, and provide all elements described in the Catalyst Grant Request for Proposals (RFP).
- October 4, 2021 - Letter of Intent deadline (required)
- October 7-15, 2021 - Consultation calls (required)
- November 8, 2021 - Proposal deadline
- Mid-December 2021 - Award announcement
- January 1, 2022 - Anticipated project start date
- Catalyst Grant RFP (PDF)
- Catalyst Grant Budget Template (Excel)
- Catalyst Grant Timeline Template (Excel)
- Proposal Approval Form (Word)
- Frequently Asked Questions (PDF) - This document is updated as additional questions are received.
- Contact Maggie Allan, Program Manager (email@example.com, 734-763-0749)