Graham Sustainability Institute Diversity, Equity, and Inclusion Statement
At the Graham Sustainability Institute, our dedication to academic excellence for the public good is inseparable from our commitment to diversity, equity, and inclusion. Our mission of engaging, empowering, and supporting faculty, staff, and students to foster sustainability solutions includes ensuring that each member of our community thrives. We believe that diversity is key to empowerment, and the advancement of sustainability knowledge, learning, and leadership.
— Statement developed by the Graham Diversity, Equity, and Inclusion Planning Team
System-wide Change & Applications
Through the implementation of this strategic plan, the Graham Institute will increase and focus our efforts on diversity, equity and inclusion (DEI), through sustainability education and scholarship, daily interactions with faculty, students, and staff, communications and marketing, opportunities for employment at the Graham Institute and funding opportunities for students and faculty.
Across Graham Institute programs, diverse stakeholder perspectives are embedded in the process of engaging with and across many cultural, disciplinary, and sectoral boundaries. The Institute supports engagement with a variety of organizations, including but not limited to the U-M campus community (students, faculty, staff), and external groups (alumni, partners, and stakeholders) engaged with sustainability efforts.
I have learned so much about how to lead with confidence in a group of diverse and impressive individuals.
— U-M undergraduate student scholar
Understanding Racism & Anti-Racism Work
- Anti-Racism Resources
- A Quick Guide to Action Campus Response to Hate
- A Guide to Allyship
- EmbraceRace for Parents and Children
- How to Be an Introvert Activist
- 10 Ways to Fight Hate on Campus: A Response Guide for College Activist
- 75 Things White People Can Do to Fight Injustice
- White Fragility: Why It’s So Hard for White People to Talk about Racism, by Robin DiAngelo
- 2020 Black Lives Matter Guide
Articles About Racism & the Environmental Movement
- Environmentalism’s Racist History
The resources above (understanding racism and anti-racism work) is based on information collected by the Ford School of Public Policy.
For questions, comments, or to get involved send an email to the Graham Diversity Planning Team: GrahamDPG@umich.edu
Diversity, Equity, and Inclusion Resources
- Graham Diversity, Non-Discrimination, and Conflict Resolution Policy and Procedure
- UM Diversity, Equity, and Inclusion Website
- UM Climate Survey Results
- UM Office of the Vice Provost Website
- Video: Diversity Summit 2017
- Video Series: UM Diversity
DEI Plans and Reports
- Diversity, Equity, and Inclusion Strategic Plan 2017-2021 - Year Four Plan (PDF)
- Graham 2018 DEI Year Three Report (PDF)
- Graham Institute Diversity, Equity, and Inclusion Strategic Plan 2017-2021 (PDF)